Helicopter Landing Officer (HLO)
This course continues on from the Helideck Procedures & Emergency Response course to focus on the HLO’s leadership role during a variety of realistic Standard and Emergency Operating. Procedures (SOPs & EOPs). As leader of the Helideck, the Helicopter Landing Officer (HLO) plays a crucial role towards safe and efficient helicopter operations on board.
At the end of the training, course participants will be able to:
- Define the role and explain key responsibilities of the offshore HLO
- Explain key parts of relevant helideck operation regulations and guidelines
- Describe helideck physical characteristics helideck equipment and systems
- List typical hazards associated with offshore helideck operations
- Demonstrate main HLO responsibilities and required actions during Helicopter operations and passenger movements.
- Explain structure and terms in a typical preflight weather report.
- Describe how dangerous goods are identified, packaged and labeled according to IATA and ICAO regulations, to include ‘Notification to Captain’
- Describe typical HLO requirements for Normally Unattended Installations (NUIs).
- Conduct radio checks and use standard radio communications protocols including hand signals
- Check passenger and freight manifests
- Effectively supervise HDAs during passenger, freight and baggage handling
- Prepare for Helideck Emergency roles
- Pass a course mastery test as 80% pass mark
- Trainees must have completed the following, prior to attending this module: STCW 95
- Advanced Fire Fighting, HDA Qualified – Large Yacht Helicopter Procedures & Emergency Response and Large Yacht
- Helideck Fire Fighting Courses completed or equivalent
- Helicopter landing Officers
- Helideck assistants
- Personnel involved in the handling of helicopter flights
A Project Maritime Training Certificate will be
issued on delegate been found competent.
Every two years
- Project Maritime Training, Saldanha Bay, South Africa.
Items to bring
- Delegates must present photographic ID at the start of the course.
- Accepted forms are government issued photographic identification, eg passport or identity document
All delegates will be asked to complete a medical questionnaire prior to course commencement.
Courses as per training schedule or on request